Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Strawberry Milk(Shake)

As a kid I never could drink plain milk. It always had to have some kind of chocolatey goodness added to it (if you were a kid in India, that was either Horlicks or Bournvita ...Bournvita for the win all the way!), otherwise little me would screw up her face and turn resolutely away. Everything else related to milk - yogurt, cream, butter, buttermilk - you name it, I was on board. But the milk itself - not so much. But of course my mom was a tricky one who knew that as soon as you slipped in anything to change up the milk even a little, I'd fall for it hook line and sinker.



And so, years later, this happened: D and I were discussing milkshakes, as one does from time to time. On the topic of strawberry milkshakes, said I "oh so easy - all you need is strawberries and milk." Said he "uhm...and ice cream - how can you make milkshake without ice cream?" My world, friends, was blown. Apparently milkshake requires ice cream - who would'a thunk?! No really, I'm a little embarrassed that it never occurred to me that just like chocolate milkshake required ice cream, strawberry milkshake did too. Moral: I need D around to expose my mom's past food-related trickery, especially so I can engage in it myself in the future.



Well anyway, even after this major disillusionment (I struggled with it), I've reverted back to the strawberry "milkshake" of my childhood whenever I make it at home. The flavor is more pure, the health factor way more present, and whenever I'm in a position to offer a milk option to a child, I'm totally going to say this is milkshake. Just make it with whole milk and you won't even miss the creaminess!

Strawberry Milk(Shake)

1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
2 cups milk (use whole for more creaminess, 2% is okay, skim is a no-no - you'll have to add in ice cream then)
Sugar to taste (optional depending on how sweet the berries are)



Process all the ingredients together and adjust sugar as needed. Chug! 

2 comments:

Nice comments only please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...