Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Travel Tuesdays: Summer Idyll

Imagine this: a week on an island, disconnected from your phone, the TV,  and the internet.


Sound like a horror story? Think again! With good company, good food, and good books, it is just pure bliss.


You know what you do when you don't have your eye on emails and aren't busy browsing buzzfeed? You rediscover the joy of doing nothing, of sitting in contemplation, of just being. You find your own thoughts again. You leave aside the million tiny little distractions that a little lit up screen provides. You play boardgames. You make up games. You talk to people without one or the other of you glancing away to see that latest Facebook message that just popped up. 


Plus, you let yourself drown in a good book, enter another world, and close the door behind you. You know my feelings on good books being a necessary component of a perfect vacation. And with my trusty ol' Kindle in hand, I don't even need to think about how to pack all the books I want to read! 

Here are two that were great vacation reads - though very different. 

Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Where'd You Go, Bernadette is witty, catching, entertaining, and heartwarmingly well written. I knew as soon as I read that Maria Semple had written for Arrested Development that I was going to enjoy this book, and indeed I did.

The Interestings
The Interestings is good for a vacation where you have time to really get absorbed in a book - the writing is great, the characters are well drawn (and deeply and "interestingly" (heh) flawed), the story flows, and you get drawn into it.

Ah why are vacations so short. I want to be back here with a good book in my lap, a cold drink in my hand, and the sun shining down on me while the waves lap at my feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments only please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...